HCl recycling can be implemented in many other production processes, but they pose certain challenges:
- fumed silica production - challenge: high level of SiO2 in HCl
- PVC production - challenge: organics
- Chlorination of PVC – challenge: organics, aqueous HCl
- Fertilizer production (e.g. potassium sulfate) – challenge: sulfate level
- Metal pickling – challenge: metals, aqueous HCl
- And many others…
Closing the water balance is another challenge but possible. Several options are available:
- HCl purge
- Selling of lean HCl
- HCl concentration unit
- Mixed operation with gaseous and liquid HCl
- Use of lean HCl in other units
Impurity handling is critical for HCl-ODC operation. thyssenkrupp Uhde Chlorine Engineers has some options to test HCl feeds’ suitability for the HCl-ODC technology.
- In 1 dm² lab cells the impact of spiked HCl feeds on the performance is being tested.
- Alternatively HCl from clients can be directly fed to the cells.
- Other HCl feeds than from MDI/TDI can be directly tested and qualified for use at the customer’s site.
- HCl pretreatment steps as well as process optimizations can be implemented.
- It is ready for shipment and can reach every customer in a few weeks only.
Skid battery limits:
- Input: Concentrated HCl, NaOH solution in IBCs, Cooling or Process Water, O2, N2
- Outlet (to be deposed): Diluted HCl, Hypochlorite solution in IBCs,
- Alarm & Trip Signals to DCS...
Startup of new HLT4 (High Load Test-facility) at our development center on CABB GmbH’s, Gersthofen site in Germany:
- From beginning of 2017 the new full scale test facility will be available for testing.
- Tests with current densities of up to 7 kA/m² are possible.
- Two separate anolyte circuits enable to test and qualify two separate HCl-feeds simultaneously.
- Pretreatment steps can be tested and qualified for deployment at customer’s site.