This innovative technology has been developed and industrialized by thyssenkrupp Uhde Chlorine Engineers and its partners Covestro and Industrie De Nora.
The principle consists of oxygen, which is first reduced and subsequently reacts with the hydrogen ions migrating through the membrane at the cathode side of the cell. At the ODC the generation of hydrogen is suppressed, resulting in an operating voltage less than approximately 1 volt versus the standard reaction of hydrogen generation, as well as the related energy savings.
The ODC principle is based on the reduction of oxygen at the cathode. The reduced oxygen species subsequently form water through the reaction with hydrogen ions originating from the muriatic acid fed to the anode compartment. Here, the chloride ions of this muriatic acid are converted to chlorine by anodic oxidation. The reaction at the cathode is power-efficient and takes place at a cell voltage which is less than that found in the traditional diaphragm electrolysis process.
The ODC process saves about 30% of the usual energy consumption and therefore reduces the indirect carbon dioxide emissions involved in its production accordingly. Unlike the diaphragm process it should be noted that no hydrogen is produced. The chlorine formed with the ODC process is of a very high purity.
Benefits of thyssenkrupp Uhde Chlorine Engineers‘s HCl-ODC electrolysis technology
- Careful use of resources considering ecological responsibility.
- Energy savings by up to 30 % compared to Diaphragm Electrolysis (no H2 production).
- Significant interest to make business independent from HCl & Cl2 market prices and caustic market situation.
- Risks of Chlorine transport avoided.
- No costs related to hydrochloric acid neutralization or disposal.
- Wide & flexible plant operating window eases adaptations to the needs of MDI/TDI processes.
- Electrolyzer design ensures optimal maintenance flexibility and eases potential capacity increases.
- High robustness and durability under corrosive conditions.
- Contribution of the collaboration with Covestro in terms of lab and test facilities.
- Proven and reliable technology.